Donald Trump’s legal team fired back against the Justice Department’s motion to continue its review of classified documents seized by the FBI during its raid of Mar-a-Lago last month.
On Monday, Trump’s team filed a motion accusing the DOJ of seeking to “limit the scope of any review of its investigative conduct and presuppose the outcome, at least in regard to what it deems are ‘classified records.’”
The move came after Florida Judge Aileen Cannon granted Trump’s request a special master be appointed to review the seized materials. However, last week the DOJ filed a motion to appeal Judge Cannon’s decision- specifically regarding the order blocking the government from its review of the records seized that were marked classified.
Fox News reports:
“This investigation of the 45th President of the United States is both unprecedented and misguided,” Trump’s lawyers said in the filing. “In what at its core is a document storage dispute that has spiraled out of control, the Government wrongfully seeks to criminalize the possession by the 45th President of his own Presidential and personal records.”
“The Government should therefore not be permitted to skip the process and proceed straight to a preordained conclusion,” they wrote.
In the judge’s initial order for the appointment of a special master, Cannon ruled that the special master would be responsible to review the seized property for “personal items and documents and potentially privileged material subject to claims of attorney-client and/or executive privilege.”
Cannon, though, said the order “shall not impede the classification review and/or intelligence assessment by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence (“ODNI”) as described in the Government’s Notice of Receipt of Preliminary Order.”
Trump’s legal team accused the DOJ of”misinterpreting” the order, and said there is “no indication any purported ‘classified records’ were disclosed to anyone.”