Home Media ‘Not in the Running’: Alina Habba Blasts Press Secretary Buzz as Scott...

‘Not in the Running’: Alina Habba Blasts Press Secretary Buzz as Scott Jennings Surges

15
0
By Gage Skidmore from Surprise, AZ, United States of America - Karoline Leavitt, CC BY-SA 2.0,

Alina Habba just blew up the White House press secretary sweepstakes.

The longtime Trump ally and former personal attorney publicly rejected speculation that she could replace outgoing press secretary Karoline Leavitt, insisting that she is not chasing another job in the administration.

“Flattered by the Kalshi odds, but I’m not in the running for any job,” Habba wrote Wednesday on X, according to Fox News Digital.

Habba also took a swipe at the unnamed sources driving the chatter, saying she would like them to tell her if she was getting a new post before declaring: “Fake news remains the undefeated champ.”

The denial landed with immediate force. Habba had been sitting atop the Kalshi prediction market with a 35% chance of getting the job, Fox News reported. After her post, CNN conservative commentator Scott Jennings moved ahead of her in the betting.

But those odds measure traders’ expectations—not the White House’s intentions. President Donald Trump has not publicly identified a favorite, and the administration has not announced a successor.

A Sudden Vacancy at the Podium

Leavitt, 28, is scheduled to leave the White House at the end of August after recently returning from maternity leave. She said the demands of the job made it impossible to be the mother she wanted to be to her two young children, calling her departure a “bittersweet decision.”

Trump said Leavitt would remain one of his top outside advisers and continue working with Republicans ahead of the November midterm elections.

Her exit creates a difficult opening at one of the most visible—and punishing—jobs in Washington. Leavitt became the youngest White House press secretary in history when she took the podium at 27 and quickly emerged as one of Trump’s most aggressive defenders.

Trump senior political adviser James Blair told Fox News that Leavitt would be a “really hard act to follow” and warned that her successor would operate under a “microscope” as the fight for Congress intensifies.

Why Habba Looked Like a Contender

Habba’s name made sense on paper. She became nationally known while defending Trump through his civil and criminal legal battles, then served as a high-profile campaign surrogate during his 2024 run.

She later worked as a counselor to the president and served as New Jersey’s interim U.S. attorney before moving into her current role as senior adviser to the attorney general for U.S. attorneys.

She had also been floated for the press secretary job after Trump’s 2024 victory. At the time, Habba said she was flattered but believed her talents belonged elsewhere. Her latest denial was even sharper: She said she was not in the running for any job.

Scott Jennings Moves Into the Spotlight

With Habba batting down the story, the focus is now shifting to Jennings—a combative Trump defender who regularly spars with liberal panelists on CNN.

Jennings has not offered the same clean rejection. When CNN anchor Kaitlan Collins asked whether he had heard from the White House, he joked that taking the job would mean, “I would get to see you every day.” Collins immediately noted that his answer was “not a no,” according to People’s account of the CNN exchange.

Jennings later called Leavitt one of the best press secretaries in decades but stopped short of confirming any talks.

The former George W. Bush aide has also advised longtime Kentucky Sen. Mitch McConnell and worked on multiple presidential campaigns. Trump has praised Jennings publicly and promoted his recent book, Fox News reported.

The Daily Beast has cited unnamed sources describing Jennings as a leading contender. A later report from the outlet said he met with White House chief of staff Susie Wiles about the role before Leavitt announced her departure, while also reporting that Trump has indicated a preference for a woman. Neither claim has been confirmed publicly by the White House.

The Rest of Trump’s Shortlist—If There Is One

White House principal deputy press secretary Anna Kelly is the clearest internal contender. She already sits directly beneath Leavitt in the press operation and handled television appearances during Leavitt’s maternity leave.

Other names floated in Fox News and TIME include White House communications director Steven Cheung, former Trump communications official Taylor Budowich, conservative podcaster and former administration spokeswoman Katie Miller, former DHS spokeswoman Tricia McLaughlin and Breitbart Washington bureau chief Matthew Boyle.

There may not be an immediate winner at all. The Independent, citing an unnamed White House official, reported that the administration could rely on a rotating cast of senior officials instead of quickly installing a permanent replacement. Secretary of State Marco Rubio, Vice President JD Vance and Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent took turns briefing reporters during Leavitt’s maternity leave.

Former Trump press secretary Sean Spicer told Fox News the eventual choice would need a “strong existing relationship” with Trump—a reminder that résumés and betting markets matter less than presidential trust.

Habba says she was never in the race. Jennings is not closing the door. And with the midterms approaching, Trump now has to decide who gets the next turn at the most combative podium in politics.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here