Former President Trump’s attorney John Lauro says there is no chance he will accept a plea deal in connection with the federal Jan. 6 case.
After being charged with four federal counts related to Trump’s alleged efforts to overturn the 2020 election last week Trump’s attorney joined CBS News’ “Face The Nation” to discuss the case. Lauro told host Major Garrett there was no condition where Trump would accept a plea deal.
When asked if he planned to file a motion to dismiss the case, Lauro said he “absolutely” plans to, but did not reveal exact details.
“Hundred percent. Well, within the time permitted,” Lauro said. “This is what’s called a Swiss cheese indictment. It has so many holes that we’re going to be identifying and litigating a number of motions that we’re going to file on First Amendment grounds, on the fact that President Trump is immune as president from being prosecuted in this way.”
Lauro also said that cases similar to this case brought against Trump do not go to trial “before two or three years.” He also emphasized how he will be pushing to change the venue, saying West Virginia would be an “excellent venue to try this case
“Well, the problem with bringing a case like this in the middle of a campaign season is statements are going to be made in the context of a campaign,” he said. “We expect a fair and just trial in the District of Columbia. And — and my role — my role is simply to ensure that President Trump’s rights, just like every American’s rights, are protected every step of the way, and I’m going to do that.”