Home Blog Page 114

Colorado Republican Party Threatens To Cancel Primary If Trump Is Not Included On Ballot

3
Missvain, CC BY 4.0 via Wikimedia Commons

Last night, the Colorado Supreme Court disqualified former President Donald Trump from appearing on the Colorado Republican presidential primary ballot. The ruling has the Colorado Republican Party threatening to call off the primary election in the state if Trump is kept off the ballot.

The Daily Wire’s Ryan Saavedra reported on the Colorado GOP’s response following the state supreme court’s finding that Trump is ineligible for the presidency:

“We will withdraw from the Primary as a Party and convert to a pure caucus system if this is allowed to stand,” the party said in responding to the Court’s ruling.

“A majority of the court holds that President Trump is disqualified from holding the office of President under Section Three of the Fourteenth Amendment of the United States Constitution,” the opening lines of the court’s opinion read. “Because he is disqualified, it would be a wrongful act under the Election Code for the Colorado Secretary of State to list him as a candidate on the presidential primary ballot.”

The opinion said that the majority had “little difficulty concluding that substantial evidence” showed Trump’s subversion of the democratic process by “a concerted and public use of force or threat of force by a group of people to hinder or prevent the U.S. government from taking the actions necessary to accomplish the peaceful transfer of power in this country.”

The majority concluded “the events of January 6 constituted an insurrection.”

Saavedra continued, noting the legal reaction to the bombshell ruling:

Heritage Foundation election law expert and former FEC commissioner Hans von Spakovsky responded to the ruling by calling it “nakedly partisan” and “anti-democratic.”

“First, Section 3 of the 14 Amendment applies only to individuals who were previously a ‘member of Congress,’ an ‘officer of the United States,’ or a state official. Individuals who are elected—such as the president and vice president—are not officers within the meaning of Section 3,” he said. “Second, no federal court has convicted Trump of engaging in ‘insurrection or rebellion.’ In fact, the Senate acquitted Trump of that charge in his second impeachment.”

“Third, some scholars assert Section 3 doesn’t even exist anymore as a constitutional matter after the Amnesty Acts of 1872 and 1898–a matter completely ignored by the court today,” he continued. “Fourth, prior court rulings have held that Section 3 is not self-executing and Congress has never passed any federal law providing for enforcement, meaning that courts such as the Colorado Supreme Court have no legal authority to enforce Section 3.”

The Colorado Supreme Court temporarily stayed its ruling until Jan. 4, 2024, pending further appellate proceedings.

The Trump campaign has vowed to swiftly appeal the “completely flawed decision” to the U.S. Supreme Court.

“We have full confidence that the U.S. Supreme Court will quickly rule in our favor and finally put an end to these unAmerican lawsuits,” campaign spokesman Steven Cheung said in a statement.

This article was republished with permission from American Liberty News.

Colorado Supreme Court Rules On Trump Ballot Ban

5
Gavel via Wikimedia Commons Image

The Trump campaign announced it will swiftly appeal the Colorado Supreme Court’s ruling removing the former president from the state’s 2024 ballot to the U.S. Supreme Court.

Trump’s leading allies have responded to the decision with fire and fury on social media:

The Colorado Supreme Court has ruled to remove Donald Trump from the 2024 state ballot, citing the 14th Amendment’s so-called insurrection clause.

The ruling has been temporarily stayed by the state’s highest court. It is subject to further appellate proceedings.

An appeal is all but certain, as CNBC reports:

The ruling is the first time a state court has agreed that Trump, who is the front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination, should be barred from ballots in a state because of a U.S. constitutional provision barring people who have engaged in “insurrection” from federal office.

Courts in Minnesota and Michigan have rejected similar suits challenging Trump’s placement on the presidential ballot, but the issue is continuing to be litigated in a number of states.

A group of six Colorado voters in September sued to block Trump from state ballots in 2024 because of a claim he was barred due to a provision in the 14th Amendment of the U.S. Constitution.

That provision, Section 3, says that “no person” can serve as an officer of the United States who, having previously taken an oath of federal office, “engaged in insurrection or rebellion” against the U.S.

A Colorado judge ruled last month that Trump must be allowed on next year’s Republican primary ballot. District Judge Sarah Wallace said in her ruling that that language in the 14th Amendment means it can’t be used to prevent Trump from appearing on the ballot.

Citizens for Responsibility and Ethics in Washington (CREW), which filed the lawsuit on behalf of six Colorado voters, appealed Wallace’s decision to the Colorado Supreme Court.

The disqualification trial focused on Trump’s actions before and during the U.S. Capitol riot and whether they violated Section 3 of the 14th Amendment. Section 3 states:

No person shall be a Senator or Representative in Congress, or elector of President and Vice-President, or hold any office, civil or military, under the United States, or under any State, who, having previously taken an oath, as a member of Congress, or as an officer of the United States, or as a member of any State legislature, or as an executive or judicial officer of any State, to support the Constitution of the United States, shall have engaged in insurrection or rebellion against the same, or given aid or comfort to the enemies thereof. But Congress may by a vote of two-thirds of each House, remove such disability

This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.

Report: Fox News Promotes Obama-Era Adviser To Anchor

    2
    Looking east towards 6th Avenue along north (48th Street) side of Fox News building on a snowy afternoon. [Photo Credit: Jim.henderson, CC0, via Wikimedia Commons]

    Fox News has promoted Gillian Turner to a dual role as anchor and State Department and foreign policy correspondent

    Turner has been at Fox since 2014, first as a contributor, and was hired as a correspondent four years later.

    She most recently served as a regular substitute anchor on the network’s leading news programs, including “Fox News Sunday,” “Special Report” and “America’s Newsroom.”

    Turner has foreign policy experience, after stints working for Jones Group International, with former national security adviser Jim Jones and with the White House National Security Council during the administrations of Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama.

    This article was republished with permission from American Liberty News.

    Tucker Carlson Says This Running Mate Would Make Him Abandon Trump

    6
    Photo via Gage Skidmore Flickr

    This is a step too far for Tucker…

    Former Fox News star Tucker Carlson says that if Donald Trump taps Nikki Haley as his running mate not only will he not vote for the ticket but he will openly advocate against it.

    “I would not only not vote for that ticket, I would advocate against it as strongly as I could,” Carlson said this week during an interview with conservative media personality Tim Pool.

    “That’s just poison,” Carlson added, blasting Haley as “not left, but … neoliberal in the darkest, most … nihilistic way” and saying she “has no real popular support.”

    Carlson called Haley a “creature of the oligarchs” and said her joining Trump’s campaign “would be reason to oppose the ticket.”

    Carlson recently brushed aside suggestions that he could be a potential vice presidential pick for Trump after an Axios report indicated Melania Trump is advocating for Trump to tap Carlson for the role. (RELATED: Tucker Carlson Shoots Down Vice President Rumors)

    “God would have to yell at me very loud,” Carlson said at the American Principles Project Foundation’s annual Christmas gala, where he gave a speech, according to Semafor.

    Trump Makes Fresh Bid To Toss Georgia Election Case

      1
      Donald Trump via Gage Skidmore Flickr

      Donald Trump’s lawyers formally asked a judge to toss Trump’s Georgia 2020 election criminal racketeering case on First Amendment grounds.

      On Monday, Sadow filed court papers insisting that the allegations involved “core political speech,” telling the judge the indictment must be dismissed ahead of trial, according to The Hill.

      “The First Amendment, in affording the broadest protection to political speech and discussion regarding governmental affairs, not only embraces but encourages exactly the kind of behavior under attack in this Indictment,” wrote Sadow and Jennifer Little, Trump’s other Georgia attorney.

      “The Fulton County prosecutors have not identified any non-speech or non-advocacy conduct in the allegations against President Trump,” Trump’s attorneys wrote in the new filing. 

      “An examination of the indictment reveals why: none of the allegations relate to any non-speech or nonadvocacy conduct,” they continued. “Every charge and overt act alleged against President Trump rests on core acts of political speech and advocacy that lie at the heart of the First Amendment.”

      Trump and 18 co-defendants were charged in August with violating Georgia’s Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations (RICO) Act. Trump and his 18 co-defendants have all pleaded not guilty to the combined 41 charges they face. The former president has also made numerous attempts to have the trial delayed, arguing his team would not be ready for trial by October.

      Trump Scores Another House Republican Endorsement

      0

      Donald Trump just scored another endorsement from the House of Representatives.

      Rep. Andy Barr (R-Ky.) told Fox News Digital on Monday about his endorsement.

      “I can not sit idly by while Joe Biden and his disastrous policies continue to erode what makes America the greatest country in the world,” Barr said. “Since Biden took office, we have seen record-high illegal immigration at the Southern Border, 40-year high inflation, and threateningly weak foreign policy that has invited aggression from our adversaries.”

      However, Barr said, “despite all of this, Democrats and the ‘mainstream media’ are doing everything they can to ensure Joe Biden remains president.”

      “Donald Trump is the only candidate who can defeat Joe Biden and reinstate an America First agenda,” he said.

      “American families’ incomes rose, and their small businesses flourished,” he said, adding that none of those developments were “coincidences.”

      “They were a direct product of Trump’s low-tax, pro-economic growth policies,” he told Fox News Digital, saying Biden’s policies have “resulted in the opposite.” 

      Watch: Drunk Driver Crashes Into Biden’s Secret Service Motorcade

      1
      Police image via Pixabay free images

      On Sunday night, a car crashed into part of President Joe Biden‘s motorcade near his Delaware campaign headquarters.

      President Biden looked stunned as a sedan hit a U.S. Secret Service vehicle being used to close off intersections as Biden was walking from the campaign office to his waiting armored SUV. 

      The sedan then tried to continue into a closed-off intersection, before Secret Service personnel surrounded the vehicle with weapons drawn and instructed the driver to put his hands up.

      On Monday morning, authorities said the 46-year-old driver had been charged with driving a vehicle under the influence of alcohol and inattentive driving. 

      This article was republished with permission from American Liberty News.

      Nikki Haley Surges Ahead In Latest New Hampshire Poll

        6

        Donald Trump should be taking notice…

        Former South Carolina Gov. Nikki Haley is gaining serious momentum with New Hampshire voters.

        According to Sunday’s CBS News/YouGov poll, Haley has emerged as a top alternative to former president Trump, consolidating much of the non-Trump vote. Among likely GOP primary voters, 29 percent say they would vote for the former South Carolina governor, 15 points behind Trump.

        The Hill has more:

        Eleven percent say they would vote for GOP Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, and 10 percent say they would vote for former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie. No other candidate received more than 10 percent.

        Regarding who can beat President Biden, 51 percent of voters said Trump would “definitely” do so, while 32 percent said the same for Haley — underscoring just how strong of a hold the former president has on Republicans.

        The poll also sought to determine how New Hampshire Republican voters felt toward each candidate.

        Haley is overwhelmingly seen as the most likable, receiving 55 percent of the vote. DeSantis falls in second, holding 37 percent of the vote, while Trump and Vivek Ramaswamy are tied for third, holding 36 percent of the vote.

        A majority of voters also said Haley is the most reasonable of the candidates. Fifty-one percent voted for the former U.N. ambassador, while 37 percent said DeSantis was the most reasonable. Trump falls in third with 36 percent.

        Michigan Appeals Court Rules On Trump Ballot Challenge

        0
        Donald Trump via Gage Skidmore Flickr

        On Thursday, the Michigan Court of Appeals sided with former President Donald Trump, ruling the Republican candidate can appear on the state’s primary ballot.

        While the appeals court upheld two lower court decisions the Court declined to decide whether Trump should be disqualified under the 14th Amendment, which bars those who previously took an oath to uphold the Constitution but later “engaged in insurrection” from holding office again.

        The Hill has more:

        The court determined that the former president’s spot on the general election ballot was not ripe for consideration. 

        “It would be improper to decide whether to grant a declaration that Trump is disqualified from holding the office of President of the United States at this time,” the 3-0 opinion reads. “At the moment, the only event about to occur is the presidential primary election.”

        Regarding his spot on Michigan’s primary ballot, the secretary of state has “no discretion” to decide not to place him — or any other candidate identified as a primary candidate by a state political party — on the ballot.

        This is a breaking news story. Please check back for updates.

        Cornel West Casts Doubts Over Biden Re-Election Strategy

          0
          Gage Skidmore from Surprise, AZ, United States of America,

          During a recent interview Independent presidential contender Cornel West expressed doubts President Joe Biden makes it to the general election next year.

          Recently, Biden has been clobbered by numerous polls showing his popularity slipping amongst key voting blocs as Trump surges ahead in battleground states.

          “I’m not even sure whether I’ll be running against Biden,” the independent presidential candidate told Politico. “Biden — I think he’s going to have an LBJ moment [and] pull back.”

          “I’m just saying that I’m open to those possibilities, given the fluidity of the situation,” the renowned academic said. “He’s running out of gas.”

          West noted that while the Republican ticket appears more solid, he added that it’s also possible former President Trump leaves the race “if the weight becomes too heavy with the indictments and court processes.”

          West described Trump as a “pied piper” and a “fascist,” and Biden as a “milquetoast neoliberal.” He said both could lead the country down dark paths, Trump to a civil war and Biden to World War III.

          “I’m more concerned about Trump domestically,” West said. “I’m more concerned about Biden in terms of foreign policy.”