Former Vice President Mike Pence did not file campaign paperwork for a 2024 White House run.
On Monday, Pence spokesperson Devin O’Malley quickly tried to dispel reports after a Statement of Candidacy form was submitted to the Federal Election Commission in Pence’s name.
“Former Vice President Mike Pence did not file to run for President today,” O’Malley said in response to a reporter who tweeted Pence had entered the race.
“Someone filed a Pence filing. But it wasn’t Pence, his spokesman says, suggesting it was a prank,” tweeted New York Times reporter Maggie Haberman.
Despite the Pence team’s attempts to contain the fake news story, it wasn’t long before multiple outlets mistakenly reported the FEC submission.
While Pence is not responsible for the latest 2024 rumor the former Vice President has hinted at a presidential run in the near future. Last month, Pence told reporters he’s giving “prayerful consideration” to a 2024 bid.
If Pence ultimately does announce a 2024 White House run he would be facing off against his old boss on the debate stage, teeing up an intense primary battle.